Saturday 2 March 2013

The Leap of Faith - Take it.

       Although I do not fully agree with some of the messages that James Joyce's Araby conveys, I would admit that it is crafted very well, for unlike many stories today, “there is more to it than meets the eye”. I always found allegories quite spectacular, for it transcends these mere words into an idea that is indirectly, creatively, imaginatively, and entertainingly told.

       Araby uses a coming-of-age short story to express his views on religion, particularly the Roman Catholicism. He uses Mangan's sister to show that the Church is manipulating and taking advantage of the people only for its own benefit, when in the end, they will experience what the narrator had – the 'epiphany' or the feeling of disappointment and anguish after realizing that they were founding themselves on false hopes.

       I will repeat that Araby is very well-crafted and creative, and it truly deserves a title of being good literature. However, I would not agree with the opinions of the author. He expressed that this idea of religion or 'faith' is there only to put you up high then let you go to fall hard on the floor. Based on my personal experience and what close friends tell me, yes, 'faith' does bring you down sometimes. Yet, unlike the perspective of Joyce, things do not end there, unless you give up easily. I think that's what faith really is about. The idea of faith would become silly and pointless if it always assures happiness and positive things. In terms of faith, there will be challenges, downs, and even doubts, but that's part of the whole idea itself. Actually, if you do not easily give up on 'faith', you can even experience yet again another 'epiphany', but this time, instead of a negative one, it is the one that will bring you back up from your first fall. And that faith is what keeps me living because in this life, we will always fall, we will always trip... But I always try to keep the faith that I will somehow stand back up again. And that is what religion is for me.


       Yes, I know and admit that my explanation's clarity and creativity is nowhere near to the art of Araby, but I think I have made my point. I disagree but appreciate the story and the message of the story. Yet, I would say that in faith and religion, it will always be a matter of perspective. It will always be up to us to see them in a negative fashion, just like Joyce, or in a more optimistic way the way that I do. And what's wrong in trying to be more positive even if it's not sure, right? Saying 'no' does not make things unreal... So I would say, let's take the leap of faith. 

      Let me end this short reflection with what this cute little puppy has to say:


No comments:

Post a Comment